27 March 2020
To our brothers and sisters of St Peter Chanel Parish
Greetings to you all in these unprecedented times. Fr Tien and Fr Arsene and I are praying for you all every day as we meet for prayer in the morning. Thank you to all of you for your messages of support particularly for our live streaming efforts. More details on this further down in this message.
As we begin this period of lockdown and choose who will be in our “bubble”, we implore you, please let Jesus into your bubble! Jesus is our constant in this time of uncertainty… our constant friend, healer and the Lord of all.
As a Parish we are here to support you, practically as well as emotionally and spiritually. We have formed a St Peter Chanel Covid-19 Pastoral Response Team and we would like to highlight how we can help you at this time:
Online Parish Schedule
Please visit our new parish YouTube channel www.watchpcnz.org to watch live or in your own time:
- Sundays9:30am Mass
- Tuesday, Wednesdays, Thursdays
- 6:30pm Adoration
- 7pm Mass
- 7:30pm Rosary and Reflection
We will continue to send you regular updates via this email.
- If you know anyone who is not currently receiving these emails, please let us know, or encourage them to register directly with Sandra at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can also visit our parish Website waimakariricatholic.org.nz
- OR our parish Facebook page “St Peter Chanel Catholic Parish Waimakariri” to receive updates and encouragement.
If you or anyone you know needs support, please don’t hesitate to let us know so that we can make contact. The Parish Office number is 03 313 6285.
- Due to the lockdown, visits by our Priests are unfortunately highly unlikey. The Bishops of New Zealand are asking priests to offer pastoral support mainly over the phone. I must admitt to being highly frustrated by this. However please do not let this hinder you from contacting us and explaining your circumstances.
Phone Tree for Over 70s
We are setting up phone trees for those over 70 in Rangiora, Kaiapoi and Oxford.
- We hope to touch base with most people in the next few days to ensure that no one feels alone, and that everyone has the support that they need at this time.
- If you are able to help with this, please let us know.
First Holy Communion Programme
Despite parent and student meetings going on hold, we encourage the children to begin their online study. Kate Tamepo will have sent login details to each family directly. This will be a wonderful time of learning and offer them hope during their time at home. We will advise you as soon as possible as to a new date for First Holy Communion. It would be lovely if, while joining us for mass online each Sunday at 9.30am, that you ‘sign in’ in the comments section of the live feed. I realise that this may not be possible.
We would like to encourage those of you who normally give via envelopes or those who normally donate by cash to consider transitioning to online giving.
- The easiest way to give to the parish is through Automatic Payment or Direct Debit to the account number 03-1592-0522551-020. To help us identify the donor, we ask that you enter your surname in the CODE space ; and your Planned Giving number in the Reference space.
- We are preparing for an influx of people who will need help to make ends meet and we are looking into a system where we can buy electronic food vouchers for families. If you would like to give donations to towards those in need, please specify this when giving online.
These are extraordinary circumstances and we are here for you. Please do not wait until you or others are not coping. There is no shame in asking for help.
God bless you all with His mighty peace and protection.
Fr John Adams